The name means market town on the hill. The settlement grew at the junction of a number of main roads, which includes the Fosse Way, a Roman Road from the 1st century that runs from Exeter in the south to Lincoln in the East.
The market was set up in 1107 by Henry first with all proceeds going to Evesham Abbey.
The church in Stow is called The Church of St Edward and has a very unusual entrance door. It is flanked by to large Yew trees that look as though they are part of the building.
The market square was used for large fairs in the Middle Ages, attracting huge numbers. Today a lovely square with shops, cafes and pubs. Stow is well known for its antique shops.
Stow claims to have the oldest pub in Britain, dating 947. Parts of the building are dated back to that time, but over the years the building has had many refurbishments.